Before sharing this delicious recipe for potato soup, I want to let you know that it requires an instant pot, which is an electric pressure cooker. If you don’t own one already, I highly recommend it as it is my most frequently used kitchen appliance and my whole family enjoys using it. (Full disclosure: I even own two!)
The only time-consuming part of this recipe is chopping the potatoes and celery, but I find that using baby carrots eliminates the need for chopping. I discovered this recipe on Shane + Simple , where you can also find the proper instructions on how to make it (like sauteeing your veggies, I don’t bother!). There’s also a version of how to make it without an instant pot, on your stovetop. Here’s how I make it, and I am always doubling the recipe:
- 4 lbs potatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large carrots (or baby carrots)
- 2 celery stalks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups milk (I prefer almond milk)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks and add them to the instant pot with the broth and spices.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Whisk together the milk and cornstarch, and stir the mixture into the soup until it thickens.
- Stir in 1 cup of nutritional yeast (don’t add this until after you’ve cooked everything.
- Serve and enjoy!
This soup is incredibly tasty and easy to make. It is definitely a family favorite around here. I think you’ll love it! Also, be sure to check out Steve’s recipe for more options like cashew cheese sauce, for a garnish.